Late Rishi Kapoor, a heart-throb, lover boy and a sensational actor in Bollywood passed away today in Mumbai fighting Leukaemia. He was a man with oozing charm and charisma, which made him a dream boy/man for generations. I remember my mum told me once that she bunked her college to see first day first show Rishi Kapoor’s movie. And a few years ago, Jugnu and I went first day first show for Kapoor & Sons.
Born in the Kapoor family, he was a natural. His grandfather Mr. Prithviraj Kapoor and father Raj Kapoor were one of the most influential actors and now his son Ranbir Kapoor is no less. Mr. Rishi Kapoor debuted in 1973 in the musical romantic movie Bobby and never looked back since then.
I am a big fan of all his work. But here are a few of my best favourite movies:
- Bobby 1973 – As mentioned above, it was his debut film directed by his father, Mr. Raj Kapoor. He played an heir of a rich businessman who fell in love with a 16 year old Bobby, played by Dimple Kapadia. They say it was no less than a cult romantic blockbuster.
2. Chandani 1989 – Late Yash Chopra’s classic movie “Chandani” starred three finest actors of the era, Mr. Rishi Kapoor, Mr. Vinod Khanna and Sridevi. Destiny separates Sridevi and Rishi Kapoor apart. She meets Vinod Khanna and the story turned around when Rishi Kapoor return. This is so unfortunate that all the 4 legends have left us.
3. Karz 1980 – The greatest thriller movie starring Rishi Kapoor, Tina Munim and Simmi Grewal was about the rebirth of a popular singer Ravi, Rishi Kapoor recollects his memories of how he was murdered in his previous life and plans to take revenge.
4. Amar Akbar Anthony 1977 – An action comedy film filled with bundle of Talent starring Rishi Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan and Vinod Khanna. Three brother separated during childhood days and united after years, one as Hindu, second as muslim and third as Christian. It is filled with fun, emotions and adventure.
5. Kapoor & Sons 2012 – I fell in love with Rishi Sir when I saw this movie. He played a role of modern grandfather of 2 famous actors, Sidharth Malhotra and Fawad Khan. The film is about the grandsons returning back home for Rishi sir’s birthday celebration and found their parents marriage is on the edge.
It was so hard to pick my top 5 movies from his amazing work. My heart and soul is not able to believe that he is no more. We lost a gem and no one could ever take his place. His immeasurable talent, warm heart, witty jokes and beautiful soul will always stay alive in our hearts.
Grieving in my nest!
Featured photo credit – https://www.dbsuriname.com/